Wednesday, January 4, 2012

my 40th birthday

Yesterday was my 40th birthday. I spent most of the day at the vet trying to find out what is wrong with Jack. I realize that he's 13 years old and that I should feel privileged to have him as long as I have but I can't seem to feel that way. 5 weeks ago my mom and girlfriend told me I needed to except that he was near the end as we lay with him in the middle of the night while he was shaking and throwing up. He rebounded from that night but 6 days ago he started the process again and hasn't been able to kick it. Luckily we have Dr. Suzy in our lives to help.
The original hope was that it was diabetes or pancreatitis that was probably onset by age. Both tests came back normal with the exception of his white cell count which was 3 times normal. It is clear from that that he has an infection at the very least. Next was an ultrasound to look for masses or bleeding, neither of which presented. There was however fluid between his abdomen wall and his organs, all of which were very shiny which means they are/were inflamed. Dr. Suzy took a sample of the fluid. It's called peritonitis. You can Google it. Not sure how he would've gotten it but he did. The fluid sample didn't show any obvious cancer cells either. So now what?
Jack got 3 shots.....one anti-inflammatory, one anti-nausea, and one antibiotic. The hope was to start the healing process and hopefully get him to want to eat more. He's lost 15 pounds in a month. It's probably a good thing he is a big dog to begin with or he wouldn't have made it this far.
I was hoping today would be better, but it's actually the first time I'm not sure what he wants or what's going to happen. And I'm scared. Up til now he's been telling me he wants to fight, but this morning I'm not sure what he wants and I don't want him in pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment